What does the PSST do?
We are here to support and assist you through your psychology degree! We welcome everyone from first to fourth year to come and see us, including both domestic and international students.
You can come and see us to get help with:
- IDEAS for your assignments/reports
- PLANNING your assignments
- STRUCTURE and FLOW of written assignments
- WRITING TIPS for assignments
- STUDY tips for your exams
Please note that PSST does not provide any support or assistance for Honours/4th year theses.
Guidelines for student consultations
- 30 minute consults once a week
You can make a 30 minute consultation with us once a week and hold two current bookings up to 2 weeks in advance.
Appointments are non-transferable, only the student who made the booking should attend the appointment.
- Book early
PSST gets very busy in the lead up to assignment due dates, so make sure you book early to avoid disappointment. If you have an assignment due in Week 10, why not make some headway on it by coming to see us earlier? Then you could make subsequent bookings and get further feedback well before your assignment is due.
- What we can do
- Report structuring advice
- Logical flow
- Basic grammar
- Choice of words
You should consider that PSST tutors have no course-specific knowledge, but can comment more generally on report writing. Providing the tutor with your course assignment materials (assignment question and marking criteria) will increase the efficiency of your consult session. We’re happy to advise and help you.
PSST has a Facebook page! Like us to find out more information about PSST and to receive updates about opening times and workshops.
Online Booking System
- To make an appointment to see one of the PSST tutors, login to the booking system using your SInet username and password.
- The available consultation slots are indicated in white, those that can't be booked are shaded black or grey.
- Note that every Wednesday morning we will make more consultation slots available for future weeks, so check each week if you wish to book a consultation slot a week or more in advance.
- Click on the consultation slot you want to book and a new window will open.
- In the booking window, indicate what you want help with in the 'Summary' box, then click 'Save' (this will send a confirmation email to your address).
- Now you should see your booking indicated in blue.
- If you wish to change your booking, click on your booked timeslot and the booking window will appear. Put a tick mark in the 'delete' box, then click 'save'.
- If you experience any difficulties with this process, or the system isn't working, please email email@example.com for assistance.
Please note that there are two separate rooms where appointments are held. These rooms are represented by the two separate schedules below.
***Thursday appointments in Room 208 will be held in room 208a.
You must login to access the PSST Bookings.
Where to find the PSST
We have an office; we like to call it the PSST Fishbowl, which is adjacent to the Psychology Courtyard and PSA Undergraduate Common Room. You can access the Psychology Courtyard from level 2 of building 24a (i.e., the McElwain Psychology building).
Psychology Courtyard outside PSST.
Once you have entered the Psychology Courtyard, have a look around for a glass window with the letters 'PSST' on it that's us! Make sure you tap on the glass window to let us know you have arrived! We will come out and let you in for your session.
Resources for the Psychology Student Support Tutors
APA Formatting and Turnitin
APA Formatting and Turnitin
Brought to you by the Psychology Student Support Tutors
September 10th and 17th 2010
Prepared by Ro Brown and Stacey Parker
Filename: PSST APA Formatting and Turnitin Sem 2 2010.pdf (6520.4kb)
Created: 2010-05-26 12:35:02 [paulj]
Modified: 2010-09-28 09:29:59 [paulj]
How to Write Assignments in Psychology
PSST Workshop: How to Write Assignments in Psychology. By Chris and Ally.
Filename: PSST Assignment writing for Psychology Workshop (FINAL).pdf (266.8kb)
Created: 2015-04-21 09:38:47 [uqpjack1]
Modified: 2015-04-21 09:38:47 [uqpjack1]
Additional Services Available to Students
Student Services at UQ can help you with your living, learning and working in Australia. Student Services also run a series of workshops throughout the semester on assignments, exams, statistics, studying and writing for different purposes. Click here for more information.
Moreover, if you still have questions after attending the workshops, you are allowed to have one-on-one consultation with a student advisor to discuss it further.